The trees, the lights, the music, and of course, the meaning behind it all: It really is the most wonderful time of the year!
I’m one of those people who starts listening to Christmas music on November 1, and don’t be surprised if I put decorations out before Thanksgiving. I love Christmas and everything about it!
This particular Christmas was extra special for my family, as we had just welcomed our first baby into the world four months ago. Having our sweet new addition around had me feeling more of the Christmas spirit than usual (if that’s even possible), and made me want to make the most of the season. All of these warm fuzzy feelings had me thinking: what kind of new tradition could we start with our new little family?
Here are 10 Fun Christmas Tradition Ideas for Your Family
- Individually wrap 25 Christmas themed books and put them under the tree. Starting December 1, have your child open one each night before bed, and read it together as a family.
- Invite the family over for a day of making gingerbread houses! If your family is like mine, this will quickly turn into a competition!
- Make or get some hot chocolate and hit the road for a night of looking at Christmas lights.
- Volunteer at a soup kitchen together.
- Have a cookie baking and decorating day. Then deliver them to your local fire or police station.
- Give your child a gift to be opened on Christmas Eve—include Christmas pajamas, a Christmas book, movie, hot chocolate, and candy canes.
- All year long, empty spare change from your pockets into a jar. When Christmas comes, decide as a family who to anonymously give the jar to.
- Give each child $5 to spend at the dollar store to buy gifts for family members.
- Hide candy canes around the house and have your kids go on a Candy Cane Hunt.
- Have every family member write down their favorite memory from that year on a small piece of paper. Put them all into a clear ornament and label it with the year.
We would love to hear YOUR Christmas traditions! What do you look forward to most about Christmas each year? Whatever it is…we hope you had the best one yet.
(and Happy New Year)
C. Gomez works at our corporate office as an administrative assistant. She recently welcomed a new addition into her family as she became a new mom! As an avid fan of Christmas, she was excited to share this article. Thank you!